Organized in 1918, a regional Moslem medical assistant school was the first medical educational establishment in Uzbekistan. In 1920, it was reorganized in a specialized medical school, which is now named after Yuldash Akhunbabaev.
Back in 1935, in a move to address the vital task of training qualified national specialists, a school of hospital nurses was founded at a clinical first-aid hospital by order of the Republicâ€™s peopleâ€™s commissar of public health.
The first 27-strong group of hospital nurses graduated from the school in 1937. In 1954, the school of hospital nurses was renamed the Tashkent City Medical School following a corresponding order issued by the Ministry of Public Health. In 1976, in recognition of the big successes scored in training hospital nurses and in honour of its 40th anniversary, the school was named after the famous scientist and physician Petr Fokich Borovsky.
Prior to 1966, the school occupied semi-basement premises with 5 classrooms. In 1976, it moved to a four-storey building with a spacious school assembly hall and a gymnasium.
This educational establishment was repeatedly decorated with awards as winners of the â€œBest in Professionâ€ contests and â€œWinner of the Olympiadâ€ pennants among the Republicâ€™s medical schools. In 1984, at the Exhibition of National Economic Achievements (ENEA) the Tashkent City Medical School was awarded the second-class Prize for creative works presented by its teaching staff and students.
A set of didactic training and methodical aids for the â€œChildrenâ€™s diseasesâ€ discipline created by the schoolâ€™s lectures and teachers won silver and bronze medals at the ENEA.
Pursuant to the Order No 93 issued by the Ministry of Public Health of the Republic of Uzbekistan as of 25 February 2004, the Tashkent City Medical School was conferred the college status.
In 2005, the collegeâ€™s premises were reconstructed. For the time being, it houses 2 gym-halls, 2 libraries, 48 classrooms, 6 laboratories and pre-clinic rooms, 2 computer classes, as well as over 50 classrooms in hospitals across the Uzbek capital.
The collegeâ€™s teaching staff comprises 180 lecturers, including experienced physicians and Candidates of Science. All of them provide theoretical training in special disciplines and conduct practical lessons in clinics and hospitals of Tashkent. Among the lecturers are those decorated with awards of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Honoured Public Education Workers, excellent workers in the fields of public health and specialized secondary vocational education. The teaching staff of the college initiated the creation of sets of training and methodical supplies for a wide range of special disciplines. Scientific-practical conferences are organized in the college on an annual basis. The collegeâ€™s curriculum covers the training of secondary medical specialists in the following disciplines: nursing, treatment, obstetrics and pharmacy.